Pile of Shame is a series where I attempt to wade through the endless amount of unfinished games in my library, as well as tackling classic games that I’ve never gotten around to. Each month I’ll be revising the 10 current titles I’ll be playing, with a post on each individual game sharing my thoughts and feelings post completion.
I didn’t expect to throw myself so much into this Pile of Shame blog series like I have. There’s a few reasons why I’ve been able to, but rather than dwell on that let me start by saying how fun t has been to just dive into games like this again. It feels like ages since I’ve been able to properly dedicate myself to a ‘new game’ and the 4 games that I’ve started/finished so far for this series have all been enjoyable for different reasons.
This month I completed 2 of the 10 games: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Jak II: Renegade both of which I had previously played a fair amount of. As mentioned in my roundup of each, my enjoyment varied drastically between the two. Jak II annoyed me so much in the end that I’ve decided I won’t be including its sequel in a future vote for the next game, despite being the only game in the series that I’ve never touched.
The other two games that I dived into this month were both JRPGs that I’ve never been able to give any time. My DS copy of classic could have been a Final Fantasy epic Chrono Trigger arrived so I gave the opening section a go. The combat system is unusual and the story seems less dramatic than I expected, but I’m enjoying what I’ve played. The game I’ve spent by far the most time with this month though is Rogue Galaxy which has claimed over 33 hours of my life so far. I’ve powered through so much of the game that I’m actually on the final chapter, just an hour or so before the final bosses by my estimation. Of course I’ll delve into what I’ve thought of one of the PS2’s final classic titles in the next week or so, but it’s safe to say that I’ve loved my time with Rogue Galaxy.
That leaves two spots open and it seems appropriate that after two Twitter polls I’ve ended up with two more PS2 era titles to play through. I played quite a lot of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time after renting it on release, but I’ve never even booted up Beyond Good & Evil. I’m excited to add both to my Pile of Shame series for a future playthrough.
Big thanks to anyone who has read any of the posts so far, or anyone who has voted in the polls. This is a series I’ve wanted to do for quite some time, so being able to finally play some of these ‘must play’ games is really exciting.
Pile of Shame (October Update)
- Beyond Good & Evil (PS2) – I have never booted up BG&E, despite owning a physical PS2 copy as well as the digital PS3 HD Remake. This ended up with 41% of the vote, so it was definitely a popular choice for me to play.
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2) – I’m certain that I’ve played at least half of PoP:TSoT, but it was so long ago that all I can remember is spending a whole day trying to gt past one stubbornly difficult platforming segment. With 35% of the vote it just about edged out the 30% that Super Mario World 2 managed.
- Rogue Galaxy (PS2) – As mentioned above, I am literally on the final chapter of Rogue Galaxy.
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (N64)
- Dead Space 3 (PS3)
- Shadow of The Colossus (PS2)
- Chrono Trigger (SNES) – This month I played the opening hour of Chrono Trigger. I expect it will be on this list for a while.
- Yakuza 5 (PS3)
- Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3)
- Half Life (PC)
Games Completed So Far
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP) – 8/10 – 17/09/2016
- Jak II: Renegade (PS2) – 5/10 – 19/09/2016